Tue, 19 Jul|
Reading Tesco Extra Car park
Reading Festival Salvage for Refugees - 2022
Every year thousands of reusable items such as tents, sleeping bags and clothes are abandoned at the festival. Help us reclaim them.
Time & Location
19 Jul 2022, 13:00
Reading Tesco Extra Car park , Portman Rd, Reading RG30 1AW, UK
About The Event
Every year thousands of reusable items such as tents, sleeping bags and clothes are abandoned at the festival.
These items are invaluable to refugees. This year we are helping Herts for Refugees salvage on Monday and Tuesday.
Please register your interest with Herts for Refugees here: shorturl.at/cNRW5 who are coordinating the collection.
We assemble in Tesco car park. When we get the go-ahead from the organisers, we will travel in convoy to the site where we will get our entry wristbands & vehicle passes*. This can take some time, as the site has to be cleared of festival-goers before we are allowed on. We hope this will be no later than 2.00 pm. You need to enter the site by car but there is always space in others vehicles if you want to walk to the meet location. Getting on-site is much faster on the Tuesday.
We will be collecting tents, sleeping bags & blankets. These are the priority items needed for refugees so we want to collect as many of these as possible. You can of course salvage other items for yourself.
FESTIVAL REPUBLIC GUIDANCE & WHAT TO BRING
Festival Republic runs Reading Festival and ultimately they set the rules for the salvage.
• Bring your own hi-viz vest and wear it at all times. The festival build and break is classed as a construction site and the usual rules apply.
• Make sure you know where you are at all times and stay close to your group.
• Always wear protective clothing including closed-toe shoes (no sandals) and heavy-duty gloves (you may come into contact with broken glass or other sharp materials).
• Be prepared for prolonged exposure to the elements with no cover – come ready for rain and sun, as the weather can change abruptly. Have some hand sanitiser with you.
• Be aware of hazardous or dangerous items/tents. Inform your group’s supervisor within your organisation, mark them with hazard tape and notify a member of the festival staff.
• Bring water and snacks/lunch! The festival infrastructure will be starting to be taken down so no food or drinks will be available on-site. We'll be meeting up outside a Tesco.
** Personal Items
If any personal items are found such as bank cards, money, wallets and mobile phones these must be handed to the Sustainability Coordinator. Theft by finding is an offence.
The ending time is officially 8 pm but you can leave the site anytime.
You will be given instructions on what and how to reclaim stuff.
Note. These are provisional instructions and times. Things might change slightly nearer the time.